I’ve decided the holidays are meant for strictly Type A personalities. I’m pretty much a Type D. I’m not even sure that’s a thing, but if it is, I’m it. I’m looking at my Instagram and Pinterest feeds and truly admiring the holiday finery, all organized, new, shiny and out there with plenty of time to spare. Meanwhile, we are still debating whether or not to get a tree (it’s a no at this point) this year as we are leaving on vacation the day after Christmas. I’ve gotten a few decorations up and thanks to my husband we have our outside lights hung, but by far this is the least prepared I’ve ever felt during the holidays.
Anyway, I’ve been very heavily relying on my slow cooker lately and here we have another dinner that is both delectable and pretty healthy. I borrowed the recipe from Cooking Classy and made just a few changes. The beef itself is what is slow cooked. To keep the broccoli looking this vibrant and tasting crisp/tender, I roasted it in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Which is about half the time it took to cook the rice, so it didn’t feel like extra work.
When I posted an Instagram photo of this dinner, it immediately received a ton of “likes” on my Facebook page, so I’m guessing you all are going to be happy to get this recipe. We were sure happy to eat it!
- 2 lbs. lean beef chuck roast, cut into strips
- 1/2 c. beef broth or consommé (I used consommé)
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. fresh ginger, minced
- 3 c. broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- cooked white rice
- fresh green onions, sesame seeds and crushed red pepper flakes for serving
- Place the beef strips in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the beef broth or consommé, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Pour over the beef.
- Cook on low heat for 6 – 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- When ready to serve, cook the rice according to package directions.
- Toss the broccoli pieces with the vegetable oil and salt.
- Spread broccoli in an even layer on a sheet pan and roast for 10 minutes.
- Top the rice with beef and sauce and broccoli. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, sesame seeds and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.