Creamy, spicy, tangy pub cheese is a recipe for addiction. One bite and you’ll keep coming back for more of this easy to make dip.
I am a sucker for hot pretzel bites with beer cheese. So I wanted to make my own version to have at home on occasion. It’s so easy to make. Just a few ingredients whipped together with a hand or stand mixer and you are in business. This pub cheese recipe is delicious with both soft or crunchy pretzels. It would also be awesome with celery and carrot sticks for dipping. The beer is optional but makes it more of an authentic pub cheese.
What is Pub Cheese?
Simply put, it’s a sharp cheddar cheese dip or spread, with strong flavors like horseradish and garlic, plus some beer for authentic pub status. There’s some brands you can buy that are already prepared. But nothing beats homemade.
Ingredients for this Pub Cheese Recipe
- Old English Spread – Kraft makes this spread sold in glass jars. If you can’t find this particular brand, use another sharp cheddar cheese spread like Merkt’s.
- Cream Cheese – This makes the pub cheese easier to spread/dip onto pretzels.
- Horseradish – you want fresh horseradish, not the creamy spread.
- Garlic Powder
- Beer (optional) – I like a craft-style, hoppy beer for this recipe, but really any beer you like to drink will work.
How to make Pub Cheese
Add all of the ingredients to a large, clean bowl. Whip them together with a hand or stand mixer. Transfer it to a serving bowl. The dip can be made up to three days in advance. Keep it stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- I used my KitchenAid stand mixer with whisk attachment to whip up my pub cheese
- This is the brand of pretzel bites that I like to serve at home
- Serve this appetizer in a copper serving tray for maximum visual appeal
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Pub Cheese Recipe
- 10 oz Kraft Old English Spread or any brand of sharp cheddar cheese spread
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Horseradish
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 oz Beer use a craft, hoppy IPA or any type of beer you like to drink
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl. Use a mixer to whip them together until the spread is smooth and completely combined. Serve with pretzels.