Creamy, spicy, tangy pub cheese is a recipe for addiction. One bite and you’ll keep coming back for more of this easy to make dip.
I am a sucker for hot pretzel bites with beer cheese. So I wanted to make my own version to have at home on occasion. It’s so easy to make. Just a few ingredients whipped together with a hand or stand mixer and you are in business. This pub cheese recipe is delicious with both soft or crunchy pretzels. It would also be awesome with celery and carrot sticks for dipping. The beer is optional but makes it more of an authentic pub cheese.
What is Pub Cheese?
Simply put, it’s a sharp cheddar cheese dip or spread, with strong flavors like horseradish and garlic, plus some beer for authentic pub status. There’s some brands you can buy that are already prepared. But nothing beats homemade.
Ingredients for this Pub Cheese Recipe
- Old English Spread – Kraft makes this spread sold in glass jars. If you can’t find this particular brand, use another sharp cheddar cheese spread like Merkt’s.
- Cream Cheese – This makes the pub cheese easier to spread/dip onto pretzels.
- Horseradish – you want fresh horseradish, not the creamy spread.
- Garlic Powder
- Beer (optional) – I like a craft-style, hoppy beer for this recipe, but really any beer you like to drink will work.
How to make Pub Cheese
Add all of the ingredients to a large, clean bowl. Whip them together with a hand or stand mixer. Transfer it to a serving bowl. The dip can be made up to three days in advance. Keep it stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- I used my KitchenAid stand mixer with whisk attachment to whip up my pub cheese
- This is the brand of pretzel bites that I like to serve at home
- Serve this appetizer in a copper serving tray for maximum visual appeal
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Pub Cheese Recipe
- 10 oz Kraft Old English Spread or any brand of sharp cheddar cheese spread
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Horseradish
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 oz Beer use a craft, hoppy IPA or any type of beer you like to drink
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl. Use a mixer to whip them together until the spread is smooth and completely combined. Serve with pretzels.
Kristen Wood says
This was so freaking delicious! Can’t wait to make it again. Thank you! 🙂
Love to hear this. You’re welcome!
These flavours are so cool! I actually hadn’t heard of this before but I don’t know why I didn’t think of these combos previously. YUM!
Glad I could introduce you to this yummy pub cheese!
OMG This was so good! I will definitely be making this again!
So glad you loved it!
Heather Perine says
This local restaurant has this pub cheese we always get but I can’t wait to make my own homemade version and yours sounds way better!!
Thank you for the compliment. Enjoy!
Yum! This sounds deliciously addictive!
It is. Can’t make it too often, LOL!
Charlene Powers says
Love this recipe. It came out so smooth and creamy. I only added 1 tbsp of horseradish sauce but I’ll add 2 next time. Served it with pretzel bites as an appetizer two nights in a row. Then my husband added it to his chicken salad sandwich and said it was delicious.
That is a great idea to add this cheese as a spread on a sandwich. I’m going to try that. Thanks very much for taking the time to rate and comment!