One Pan Summer Vegetable Tortellini takes advantage of the summery abundance of zucchini, corn and tomatoes to create a family friendly dinner that can be on your table in less than 30 minutes.
I created a slow cooker chowder with summer vegetables a few years ago and it has become one of my Top Ten most viewed recipes.
So I decided to take the classic summer vegetable trio of zucchini, corn and tomatoes and create a simple and delicious one pan tortellini dinner.
While there really is an abundance of colorful veggies in this dinner, the perhaps, um kid friendly (or maybe adult friendly) components are cheese, cheese and bacon. The veggies are pan seared in just a bit of bacon fat and then flavored simply with pesto (I used help from a jar) and chicken broth.
Then I added cheese tortellini from the refrigerated section at my grocery store and some crispy bacon crumbles and topped it all with a healthy dose of melty mozzarella cheese. Balance is key right? So if you’re going to indulge in a bit of bacon and cheese you should most definitely include a copious amount of colorful vegetables to go with it!
One Pan Summer Vegetable Tortellini
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 2 small zucchini chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can yellow and white corn drained
- 1 (15 oz) can petite cut diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tbsp jarred pesto
- 1 (10 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 10 oz bag cheese tortellini
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven broiler to high.
- In a large, oven-safe and non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the chopped bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan and return the pan to medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini, corn and tomatoes. Stir and cook the vegetables for about five minutes.
- Add the pesto and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon and shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the cooked vegetables and tortellini.
- Put the pan under the broil and broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- Serve immediately.