Reverse Sear Coffee Rubbed Burgers are mouthwateringly delicious, simply topped with a chipotle spiced BBQ sauce, melted smoky provolone cheese and fresh leaf lettuce.
The Sunday Supper theme is coffee recipes this week and I decided to go with a savory main dish because I like finding uses for my coffee throughout the day not just in the mornings. The coffee rub imparts an earthy, spicy and intense flavor to these burgers. So I decided to keep the toppings simple.
The equally important part of this recipe is how the burgers are cooked. I figured grilling these burgers would cause them to lose some of their flavorful rub and I’ve become more a fan of cooking my burgers in a skillet because it keeps them juicier. But before I’d sear them first and then finish cooking them in the oven.
But thanks to a recent steak tutorial I watched over at Hey Grill, Hey’s Facebook page I decided to give the reverse sear method a try with these burgers. And let me tell you I am a fan! Bringing the internal temperature up first and then searing at the end helps to get a more even cook on the burger. I prefer my burgers medium well (and some purists might scoff at that) but if you are in the medium to medium rare camp this method for cooking burgers will help you get a nice even redness throughout your burger rather than brown around the outside with just the red/pink in the very center. Evenly cooked, with the ultimate flavorful crust, juicy middle and topped with a spicy BBQ sauce, smoky cheese and crisp leaf lettuce – these burgers are going to knock your socks off!
If you are a coffee lover be sure and check out all the other fabulous coffee recipes in this week’s Sunday Super collection!
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef (80 - 85 % lean)
- 1 T. finely ground coffee
- 2 t. light brown sugar
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 T. butter
- 1/4 c. your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 T. chipotle sauce
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- 8 leaves of red leaf lettuce
- 4 brioche buns
- Form four 1/3 pound burgers. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix together the coffee, brown sugar, cumin, salt, paprika, thyme and black pepper. Evenly rub the outside of all four burgers with the coffee rub.
- Place the burgers in a non-stick, oven safe skillet and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 155 degrees.
- Remove the burgers to a plate.
- Place the same skillet over medium high heat on the stove top and melt one tablespoon of butter in it.
- Return the burgers to the skillet and sear on one side for 1 minute.
- Flip the burgers over and sear on the second side for an additional minute.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce and chipotle.
- Top each burger with two slices of provolone cheese and serve them on the brioche buns with the lettuce and chipotle BBQ sauce.
- Bulletproof Coffee My Way by Monica’s Table
- Caramel Turtle Mocha Frappe by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Latte by Meal Planning Magic
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Espresso-Glazed Coffee Cake by Tramplingrose
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Best Tiramisu Ever by Positively Stacey
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Espresso Cheesecake by The Chef Next Door
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Perk Me Up Chili by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
- Ultimate Coffee Rubbed Burger by Foodtastic Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.