June is National Turkey Lovers’ Month and I partnered with Ohio Eggs to bring you a recipe for juicy and delicious Lemon Pesto Turkey Burgers. All opinions are mine alone.
I wondered if it was possible to create a truly juicy turkey burger on the grill using 99% fat free ground turkey meat. Turns out it is! The secret is mixing in plenty of fresh lemon pesto (that takes just a few minutes to prepare) with the ground turkey. Problem solved. No dry, flavorless turkey burgers here.
Pesto is one of my favorite things to make in the summer. It’s so versatile. And fresh lemon juice and zest really brightens the flavors even more. Lemon pesto is just the thing to flavor these turkey burgers with grilled onions and goat cheese topping. They will for certain be making repeat performances on my family’s dinner table throughout the rest of the warm weather months.
Watch how to make Lemon Pesto Turkey Burgers:
Turkey is something I obviously think of at Thanksgiving but not as often during the rest of the year. But June is set aside to celebrate this versatile and lean source of protein. I’m always looking for ways to lighten up our meals especially in the warmer months. Today’s Turkey has a wealth of resources for utilizing turkey more often for your family’s meals. Recipes, grilling tips and more.
What is your favorite way to serve turkey beyond the Thanksgiving table? Sandwich, wraps, tacos, something else? Let me know in the comments!
PIN THIS RECIPE
Lemon Pesto Turkey Burgers
- 2 lbs 99% fat free ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh basil loosely packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 8 leaves Boston lettuce
- 4 tbsp soft goat cheese
- 4 brioche buns toasted
- Preheat grill to high heat and scrape grates clean. Turn all burners to low heat.
- In a food processor, add the fresh basil, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Pulse until a smooth paste forms.
- Place the onions on a large sheet of grilling foil. Drizzle with about one tablespoon of the lemon pesto. Fold to seal the foil and place the packet of onions on the grill.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground turkey, salt and remaining lemon pesto. Form into four burgers.
- Place the lemon pesto turkey burgers on the grill. Flip the burgers after about 5 minutes. Continue grilling the burgers until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the foil packet of onions from the grill.
- Serve the burgers on the toasted brioche buns with Boston lettuce, goat cheese and the grilled onions.
What a great way to switch up burgers on the grill. Love the sound of the lemon pesto.
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
So much lower in fat that using beef. Love this recipe and the pesto adds a nice addition
Thank you Bintu
This is a great recipe. Love how you used two of my favorite things, basil and parmesan cheese. Yum.
This looks like a great recipe, turkey is notorious for drying out. The idea of lemon with turkey sounds lovely.
The pesto really fixes the drying out problem! Thank you
Diana Johnson says
These are gorgeous burgers! I love your idea of adding pesto – I’ve never seen that before.
Thanks so much Diana!
Kristen M Chidsey says
YOu have added MAJOR flavor to these very lean burgers. I love using turkey and can’t wait to try out this recipe!
Thanks Kristen. I hope you like them!
This sounds great, but is 2 lb. ground turkey a typo? Four 1/2 pound burgers?
Not a typo, they were large burgers. If you’d like to make 1/4 pound burgers, make sure you use half the amount of pesto. Thanks!