This frozen hot chocolate is made lower in calories but still tastes just as indulgent as the sweet treat made famous by Serendipity.
Have you ever had the original Frozen Hot Chocolate made famous by Serendipity? I have and I was impressed. It’s rich hot chocolate, cooled and blended with ice and topped with a mountain of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. A pretty sweet and serendipitous treat at any time of the year but especially at the holidays.
Now what if I said you could make this confection at home with fewer calories than the original without sacrificing ANY of the flavor? That is what Sweet’N Low® Zero Calorie Sweetener is allowing me to do and pass the recipe along to you. I think even Santa would much prefer my kids leave him one of these frozen hot chocolates instead of plain old milk on Christmas Eve. His “bowl full of jelly” wouldn’t even expand because of it.
I can’t believe this is my final recipe of the year I’ve gotten the chance to create for Sweet’N Low®. I’ve made a lot of creative drinks these past seven months and really learned to appreciate the sweet and natural taste with zero calories that is the benefit of using Sweet’N Low® instead of sugar. Be sure and search under my “drinks” category tab because there’s a beverage for every taste and occasion!
But back to this frozen hot chocolate. It’s a snap to make and even the homemade whipped cream is sweetened with Sweet’N Low®. It was an experiment for me and I was very pleased with the taste. If you or your relatives need to monitor their sugar intake I can happily report that they can still enjoy a dollop of whipped cream as a treat for the holidays.
I am so thrilled with how this copy cat recipe (using Sweet’N Low® instead of sugar) of Serendipity Frozen Hot Chocolate turned out. It’s fun and festive and won’t break the calorie bank. Happy Holidays!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 1 oz (2 squares) Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bar broken into pieces
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 packets Sweet’N Low® Zero Calorie Sweetener
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk divided
- 3 cups ice
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet Sweet’N Low® Zero Calorie Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small sauce pan combine the chopped bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, Sweet’N Low® and 1/2 cup of the milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and starting to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Blend together the cooled hot chocolate mixture with the remaining 1 cup of milk and 3 cups of ice. Divide evenly into goblets. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat together the whipping cream, Sweet’N Low® and vanilla on high until stiff peaks form. Use to top the frozen hot chocolate.