I received a free OXO GoodGrips Spiralizer as compensation for this original recipe post. As always all opinions are my own.
I’m kinda late to the party when it comes to spiraling veggies which makes sense because I’m usually running late in my day to day life. I kinda exist in my own time zone – I procrastinate and run late – but it doesn’t mean I don’t care. I think it just goes along with my creative spirit – at least that’s my story! But as with life, when I show up I’m always glad I made the effort and this lovely dish for Veggie Noodles with Tomato Cream Sauce is no exception.
My nine year old daughter happens to be home sick today with croup (I thought she’d have grown out of that horrible sounding cough but no luck yet) so she helped me spiralize my butternut squash and zucchini. And despite feeling under the weather she thought this OXO Spiralizer was pretty neat. And I do too!
This dish is portioned for two and made in one saucepan on the stovetop. After eating it my tummy was wondering why I don’t make the effort for such a luscious and veggie filled lunch more often. It was so quick to process and cook and incredibly fresh tasting. I’ll be making this a lot as we head into summer and so should you!
The veggie noodles really do surprisingly mimic traditional pasta and are very satisfying! The tomato cream sauce is just rich enough to make you feel like this vegetarian dish is truly indulgent. And the toasted pine nuts on top provide a fantastic crunch and interest to the finished dish. If you need this meal to be dairy-free/vegan, just eliminate the half and half and butter (using all olive oil instead). Enjoy!
Veggie Noodles with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 c. sweet onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 c. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. half and half
- 1/4 c. pine nuts toasted
- 2 T. fresh basil chopped
- Cut the neck of the butternut squash from the seeded end (save the end with the seeds for another use). Carefully peel the skin from the neck of the squash. Cut off and discard the ends of the zucchini.
- Follow the directions with the OXO GoodGrips Spiralizer and spiral the butternut squash (peeled) and zucchini (unpeeled) into noodles.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the veggie noodles and salt and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the veggie noodles from the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and to the same pan add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cream and the cooked veggie noodles back to the pan. Stir well and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the veggie noodles and tomato cream sauce topped with the toasted pine nuts and chopped fresh basil.