At Christmas I made THESE cookies with White Chocolate Peppermint M&M’s. The original recipe was thanks to Bakerella. They were so deep, dark and chocolatey. And they are meant to be a bit under-baked, to help even more with the intensity and fabulousness of the chocolate. I loved them so much in fact that why save them just for Christmas?
Now I will admit, most times of the year I can walk into a store (usually Target) and find these Coconut M&M’s. This close to Easter, however? M&M still makes Coconut M&M’s, but they are packaged and recolored for Easter. Which is fine, except I really wanted the standard green, brown and white colors because they are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. So, for purposes of blogging, I ordered a batch from Amazon, plus I picked through and only used the green ones. I know, the lengths I go to for you people (kidding).
My purpose in disclosing this is so you are not frustrated if you can’t find anything but Easter-colored Coconut M&M’s at your stores. No biggie. Make these cookies for Easter! Regardless, they are the perfect combo of intense chocolate and coconut flavors, which is never, ever a bad thing. Enjoy!
Featured on Bloom Designs Lovely Little Link Party (3/20/14)
Double Chocolate Coconut M&M Cookies
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 c. 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. Coconut M&M's
- 1 c. Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and coffee crystals in a bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until dough comes together.
- Stir in half the M&M's and chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Place 3 reserved M&M's atop each cookie before baking.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to wire cooling racks to finish cooling.