Are any of you familiar with Skylanders? Even if you’re not you should get familiar with my Fruity Cheerios Celebration Squares! My husband is the one who plays the video games with our son so he’s more familiar with Skylanders than I am, but I can tell you when I told our son Caleb I’d be doing a Skylanders-themed blog post he was beyond thrilled. And when the big box arrived on our doorstep with the cereals, cards, trap team crystal and cake topper… well, you’d have thought it was his birthday all over again! This was a really fun post and recipe to create for both of us. General Mills and Skylanders have teamed up to offer an exclusive Skystones game free with your favorite boxes of cereal. Hidden inside specially marked Big G cereals, fans (like my son) will find Skystones cards playable on the game board found on the back of the cereal box. You can collect all four Skystones game card sets, each with a downloadable code to unlock characters in the popular mobile Skylanders game. I can tell you the Skystones game has been a lot of fun for us to play. Caleb set everything up and explained the rules and he and his sister have played several times. Participating Big G brands include Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios, Reese’s Puffs, Cookie Crisp, Lucky Charms, Trix and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. While my kids pretty much have never met a cereal they didn’t like, their two favorites were the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Fruity Cheerios. Caleb was especially partial to the Cheerios, so much so that he ate the whole box by himself over the course of just two days! I shudder to think what his growth spurts will be like as a teenager when he eats as much as he does now at only 10 years old. He does have swim team practice five days a week, so all that activity makes him hungry most of the time. I decided the Fruity Cheerios would make a really fun dessert because they are so colorful. I did some searching on Google and found THIS recipe at Averie Cooks. I took out the alcohol to make them kid friendly and used the melted white chocolate to completely frost the cereal bars. When cut, they really look like a festive slice of birthday cake. If you are short on time (and who isn’t these days) you can have these ready for a celebration in a flash. My kids loved them. Who am I kidding… I loved them! The natural fruit flavor of the Cheerios paired really well with the marshmallow coating and white chocolate. These squares truly taste as good as they look. Thanks to General Mills and their Skylanders cereals, I now have an easy and fun new dessert to count on for celebrations big and small. What do you think? Wouldn’t your kids love these treats too?
Celebration Squares with Fruity Cheerios
- 1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 5 T. unsalted butter cut into 5 or 6 pieces
- 6 c. Fruity Cheerios cereal
- 3/4 c. white chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli brand
- Colorful sprinkles
- Spray an 8x8 square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a very large, microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter. Microwave on high for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove and stir until butter and marshmallows are completely melted and combined.
- Add the cereal and stir very well to coat the cereal completely.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the pan and flatten with a spatula. Allow to set up... will take about an hour. The bars can be made a day ahead... just be sure to cover them.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave and stir until smooth. Should only take a couple of minutes. Spread evenly on top of the cereal bars and then top the white chocolate with sprinkles.
- Slice into nine squares and serve.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.